The end of my job, that is.
I received word yesterday that the negotiations for the contract I’m consulting on have been unsuccessful. I will be out of a job at the end of the month unless my company gets another contract really soon. No one is planning on that happening.
I am having mixed emotions about this. On one hand, it’s not a bad thing. I haven’t really been happy on this particular contract, even though I love the work I do. Politics just gets in the way of the good stuff. This could open new opportunities for me.
On the other hand, the economy is still in the tank and finding a new job will be difficult. We will need to cut back drastically to keep current with the bills if I’m unemployed for any length of time.
Scuba man says that life is what happens when you’re planning for the future. As two people who just set new goals 6 weeks ago, I feel like our future dreams have just blown up in our faces. Drastic, I know, but that’s how I feel. It’s
time now necessary to revise those goals. I didn’t think that was going to happen so soon.
I am a person that hopes for the best and plans for the worse. I want to plan as though I cannot find another job soon. If we cut back immediately and I find another job, we’ll still know we can survive on less money and perhaps pay off our debts and build up our emergency savings. Or, maybe I can’t find a job making the salary I make now and we’ll have to survive on less money. Or I won’t find another job. The key is, we will survive one way or another. I am not too proud to flip burgers for a living if that’s what it takes.
The big concern is making the two mortgages and, more than anything, Willow’s medical needs. I know that we have been fortunate in being able to afford to buy our retirement home years before we retire, but now we have two mortgages and no hopes of being able to sell either house for what we owe on it. The housing market has just not recovered enough for that. I would just not feel right about a short sale. I committed to borrow money with intentions of paying it all back. I would feel so guilty if I couldn’t do that!
I know there are people out there that would just say let the bank do a short sale. Everyone else does. I guess if that was the very last possible way, then we would have to. I pray that it won’t come to that. I will do everything in my power to not let it come to that.
Although some of my readers will think I’m crazy, Willow is even more important. We will go into debt to keep her healthy and pain-free (oh wait,we already are in debt because of that!). She is even more of a commitment than the bank. She is a living being that we committed to when we adopted her. I would go without everything that is not necessary to live, for her.
Stay tuned to see what my future holds! Oh, and if you know of anyone looking for an Oracle programmer in the Richmond area, please point them my way! Thanks.